The Pilgrim Monument was founded in 1892 to commemorate the Mayflower Pilgrims’ first landing in the New World in Provincetown, in November 1620. The Pilgrims spent 5 weeks in Provincetown exploring the tip of Cape Cod, before they sailed on to Plymouth.
The pilgrims also drew up and signed the Mayflower Compact, which established the rule of law for the new land. A Commemorative sculpture the “Signing of the Compact” is located at the Bas Relief Park at 106 Bradford Street, and owned by the Town of Provincetown.
President Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone of the monument in 1907. In 1910, President William Howard Taft dedicated the finished 252-foot tower. The Monument is the tallest granite structure in the United States. The Provincetown Museum opened at the base of the monument, to educate the public about Provincetown’s role in Pilgrim and American history.
In 2020, the museum debuted a new permanent exhibit, “Our Story: The Complicated Relationship of the Indigenous Wampanoag and the Mayflower Pilgrims.” The interactive and technological exhibit offers an accurate story of the Wampanoag Tribe’s history on Cape Cod, including the 1620 arrival of the Mayflower from England.